Have a Question?
We have an answer. Learn all about living at Canal Square by utilizing our resource library.
COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
Our office is currently open by appointment only. If a virtual appointment or phone call will meet your needs, we will be happy to continue to provide service to you during our typical posted office hours. If you are a current or prospective resident who needs an in-person meeting, we are making appointments during regular business hours. Limit of 3 people in attendance at an appointment and we require that all visitors to the leasing office wear a face mask and practice social distancing. Our common areas are regularly cleaned and we encourage everyone to abide by the CDC's recommended guidelines to STOP THE SPREAD.
Deliveries and Parcels
Packages have a way of arriving when you are not home. To help out, we are happy to accept parcels delivered by UPS, Fed-ex or any other delivery services on your behalf. Please let us know if you are expecting any perishable item, so that we can contact you when it arrives.
Renter's Insurance is required of our residents. It protects your personal property if anything happens, and may pay for any damage or loss to the apartment property. Like everyone at our community, you are responsible for damage or loss to apartment property, and your person caused by fire, vandalism, water damage, and other injurious acts or crime. Please contact the leasing office for more information.
Important Telephone Numbers
Emergency Services: 911
Police Department: 317-327-3811
Fire Department: 317-327-6041
Within 24 hours of your service request (excluding weekends), a Canal Square associate will respond. If special parts or outside services are required, we will take care of those arrangements for you and complete your request as quickly as possible. To make sure you get the service you deserve, please direct all requests to the Canal Square office. We will do everything we can to solve the problem. If you are experiencing a maintenance emergency, please call our office number during or after office hours. Do not submit an online request for an emergency service.
Our on-call maintenance technician will be happy to assist you with the following 24-hour emergency items:
- No electricity throughout the apartment
- No water throughout the apartment
- No heat in extremely cold temperatures (60 degrees or below)
- Water coming into your apartment (i.e. flooding, leaks, etc.)
- Toilet not working (if you only have one bathroom)
- Possibilities of fire from electrical sparks, burning odor, or detection of smoke. If a fire occurs, call 911 first!
- Anytime your apartment security is compromised (i.e. broken window, damaged lock, etc.)
- No hot water throughout the apartment
- Air Conditioner not working in temperature above 80 or medical condition requires air conditioning
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please dial 911!
Meanwhile, here are a few guidelines for handling some possible issues:
Electrical (power failure)
- Determine if there is an area power failure and that your electricity payments are up to date.
- Check your circuit breakers. Turn them all to the “OFF” position, then turn to the “ON” position.
- Call our office if an area power failure is not evident and step two does not restore power.
Plumbing (stoppage or overflow)
For any major plumbing issues:
- Turn off the “shut off” valve nearest the fixture. Note: To do so, turn the shut-off valve a quarter to the right.
- Do not use fixture.
- Call our office.
Keys and Locks
If you are locked out of your apartment during normal business hours, please contact the leasing office. We will be happy to provide you with a key with proper photo identification. If you are locked out during non-business hours, please contact our courtesy officer at 317-631-7030. There is a $25 after hours lock out fee due and payable to our officer at the time of the lock out.
If you require pest control service, please contact our leasing office and we will be happy to schedule a pest control appointment for you. You will be asked to secure all pets during this pest control visit.
Light Bulb Replacement
When you move in your apartment will be fully equipped with light bulbs in all of the permanent fixtures.
If a bulb burns out in the large fluorescent fixture in your kitchen or an appliance bulb goes out, we will replace them free of charge. If any other bulbs go out, you are responsible to purchase the necessary light bulbs, and if you need assistance simply submit a service request for the maintenance team to install the new bulb for you. If you have any questions regarding types of bulbs or how to change a light bulb, please don’t hesitate to contact the leasing office. We are happy to help!
CARING FOR YOUR COMMUNITY
One of the things our residents find most attractive about Canal Square is the simplicity, consistency and cleanliness of how our buildings look. Maintaining that look requires everyone’s cooperation, and as a result, the community does not allow the installation of wires, aerials, radio or television antennas, clotheslines, or other lines on roofs, patios, balconies, windows, or any part of the building or premises.
Disturbances and Noises
Noise can be a nuisance, and at Canal Square, we ask all of our residents to be considerate of their neighbors when entertaining, using their television or stereo, or using appliances and vacuum cleaners late at night. If you reside in an upstairs apartment that also means avoiding running, jumping, using heavy workout equipment or slamming doors.
If you are experiencing a noise concern, please let our leasing staff know and we will address the issue promptly or if it is after hours, please contact our courtesy officer at 317-631-7030 and report the issue so that we can respond immediately.
Trash rooms are located on each floor of the building for your convenience. A foot lever is inside of each room that opens the chute for the disposal of trash. Trash chutes are for bagged trash only. Please do not place any boxes or larger items in the trash chutes, as they can clog the chutes. Please report a clogged trash chute right away. Dumpsters are located on the ground floor at the North and South ends of the garage for larger items. If you are disposing of furniture items, televisions or item containing refrigerant, you will need to make other arrangements for the pick-up and disposal of such items.
Grounds and Breezeways
We try to keep the grounds and public areas clean, neat and attractive for everyone to enjoy. Some basic community guidelines to help us stay beautiful are:
• Please make sure your garbage goes straight from your apartment to the community trash receptacle. We do not allow bags of trash to be left in hallways or common areas.
- Please take care to clear personal belongings from outside your front door. A standard front door mat or seasonal decor gracing your entryway is fine. However, we do not permit other items such as dry erase boards to be mounted to your front door. Please do not leave your shoes outside the front door as well.
- Please remember that smoking is not allowed in our common areas, hallways or elevators and local code states that smoking is prohibited within 8 feet of our building entrances. Cigarette butts need to be fully extinguished and properly disposed of.
- Finally, please show respect for landscaped areas, shrubbery, and trees. We work hard to keep the grounds looking great and appreciate your help in keeping them that way.
Balconies are for the storage of outdoor furniture, décor and plants only. They are not to be used for storage of items such as bicycles, boxes, or trash.
For your peace of mind, door-to-door solicitation isn’t allowed. If a solicitor makes it to your door, please refer them to our office. We will take care of it.
Weapons and Firearms
Displaying or discharging fireworks, guns or any type of firearm or weapon is strictly prohibited. Violation of this policy by any resident, occupant, or guest may result in the immediate termination of the lease contract.
Community Recreation and Amenities
Our business center, cybercafé, conference room and fitness room are open to residents 24 hours a day.
All vehicles parked in community parking areas must be in working condition and have current registration tags. Vehicles in violation of the following guidelines can be towed without notice at the owner’s expense:
- Abandoned vehicles and disabled cars
- Vehicles without an appropriate Canal Square-issued parking sticker displayed found parking in a reserved space
- Vehicles with expired license plates
- Vehicles parked in fire lanes
- Vehicles parked in handicap zones
- Vehicles blocking the trash compacter or other vehicles
Bicycles and Motorcycles
We have both indoor bike rooms and outdoor bicycle storage racks. To store a bicycle here at Canal Square, you must obtain a bike permit at our office to be placed on your bike frame. In order to store a motorcycle in the garage, you must rent a space for it. Please contact the office to do so.
Our parking garage is only for our residents and each space can be rented on a monthly basis. Please contact our office for pricing information.
Pet Fee = $30 per month per pet
Pet Deposit = $400 ($200 Refundable based upon final condition)
Dogs and cats are welcome at Canal Square but we do have a few restrictions:
- All pets must be registered at the leasing office.
- Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate dogs larger than 80lbs.
- We allow up to two pets per apartment but the combined weight cannot exceed 80 lbs.
- We do not accept Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, Akitas, Mastiff breeds, Wolf hybrids, or Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
- Your dog must be leashed and under your control at all times when outside your apartment.
- You must pick up your pet’s waste each time you take him or her out. A $50 clean up fee will be charged to pet owners that do not clean up after their pet.
- Pets are not to ever be left unattended outside or on the balcony/patio of your apartment.
- Cats must remain inside your apartment or be leashed, or in a carrier, when outside.
- An aquarium is fine, but if it holds more than 50 gallons of water, we need you to have insurance for it.
- Sorry, but we do not allow any wild, exotic, endangered or poisonous animals, reptiles, or birds to be in residence at Canal Square.
- For the community’s rules about other types of pets, please check with the office. We will be happy to provide more information.
RENT PAYMENT AND LEASE AGREEMENT
Rent Payment Guidelines
Please make your rent payments by personal check, certified check or money order, or through our online payment system. You are welcome to drop off rent checks in the office, or for after-hours payment, please use our rent drop box.
- Cash and partial payments cannot be accepted.
- Remember to clearly write your apartment number on the check or money order.
- Delinquent rent payments are subject to late charges, as well as, legal fees and court costs. If rent has not been received by the 5th day of the month, a late fee equal to 10% of your total rent will be due on the morning of the 6th day. If rent has not been received by the 15th day of the month, the account will be submitted for eviction and will be subject to legal fees.
- Bank returned checks will not be re-deposited. In addition to late charges, the resident incurs a N.S.F. charge of $30 over and above the amount of the check as well as the late fees.
- Checks returned by the bank must be redeemed within 48 hours with a cashier’s check or money order. Two returned checks will necessitate that for a period of 12 months, rent payments are made only by cashier’s check or money order.
Residents are responsible for contacting Indianapolis Power & Light to place the electricity billing in their name.The water and sewage will be billed monthly based on usage and the trash is a flat fee of $5.
Lease Terms and Renewal
We will contact you in advance of your lease expiration date to introduce renewal options and explain any changes to lease terms and rental rates. The lengths of renewal lease terms vary, but usually do not exceed twelve months. If you choose to continue residency on a month-to-month basis at the end of your original lease term, you may be required to pay monthly rent premiums over and about the stated market rent. Flexible lease terms are not always available, including month to month. If you choose not to renew, your lease requires a 60-day written notice to vacate.
Transferring to Another Apartment
We want you to stay with us for a long time, so if you find your current home no longer meets your needs, consider transferring to another apartment home within the community. We will be happy to assist you in finding an apartment that will meet your new requirements. We can provide you with our transfer policy upon request.
Roommates are jointly responsible for all rental payments and lease terms. If you wish to add a roommate, they must submit an application and be approved before they can be added to a lease. Roommate drops and adds require all roommates to be present and a notarized signature.
Upon move-out, the security deposit refund check (if one is owed) will be made out in the names of all residents listed on the lease agreement and mailed to the forwarding address provided. That means roommates will have to decide when and how to divide the deposit appropriately.
At Canal Square we are committed to the principles of Fair Housing. We will not discriminate in the leasing and management of our community on the basis of sex, age, marital status, race, creed, ancestry, color, religion, national origin, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or familial status.
These principles are guaranteed by law, meaning that we cannot and will not provide different adult and family sections of the apartment community nor require one set of rules for certain residents and another set of rules for others.
We promise to provide all residents and guests with the same courteous treatment and application of company and community guidelines.
To assure a quality lifestyle for all residents, we have established occupancy guidelines for the maximum number of persons that can occupy each floor plan type: Two occupants in a one bedroom and four occupants in a two bedroom. If you experience a change in family size that puts your family outside the guidelines, please contact the office to assist you with the transition.
We offer corporate apartments! You can find them here Canal Square - Corporate Apartments.
Join the Waitlist!
Your Solution for a short term stay is here at Canal Square Apartments. We are now offering extended stays with a minimum of 60 days. Enjoy a fully furnished apartment that includes houseware, internet/cable, parking, and utilities. You can view a virtual tour of our furnished units below. Contact our leasing office for information about your future rental.
Delaware II- https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=91mzDcWRHtK
Less than 60-day stays are available by booking with our partner's National Corporate Housing 317.913.4575.